All of us have had those awkward moments when you travel somewhere and find yourself feeling confused and lost without knowing how to say a word in their language. You don’t need to be fluent in the language of the country that you are traveling to, but learning some key phrases makes a great impression.
If someone hears that you’re trying to speak the language, they will give you their respect and help.
When coming to Bosnia and Herzegovina things are easier for the tourists because when you learn the words in the Bosnian language, you are already safe for going around Croatia and Serbia. The Bosnian, Serbian and Croatian languages are quite similar as they come from the same South Slavic language group.
So what are the most common phrases and words you need to know?
1. Dobar dan means a good day or good morning. This is an everyday line that will probably get to closer to meeting local people
2. Hvala is the word that opens all doors, it means Thank you. These polite words can make your visit more enjoyable because by using them you can communicate with everybody you meet your tour guide, taxi driver, the apartment owner and even the lady that works at the grocery store.
3. Molim vas means please and you can use it everywhere you go. Knowing this word will probably get you faster service in the restaurants as you will seem more likable to the waiters.
4. Dovidjenja means Goodbye and you can use it every day to say goodbye to local people.
5. When going to the bazaar in the Old Town in Mostar, the sentence Koliko ovo košta (How much is it?) might help you buy awesome souvenirs to take home. Also, try to bargain with the salesman because most of them will agree on giving you the merchandise at lower prices.
Need more travel tips about Mostar? In case you have missed it, see our previous post 5 Ways To Stay Upbeat On An Overcast Day in Mostar.
How about learning a few interesting tipsÂ for traveling to Herzegovina?